Saturday, February 20, 2010

Confessions of a Horse Trainer (mostly beginner tack)

This is not my rant but it's excellent and I am cross posting it because it is just that good. I got it off of Fugly Horse Of The Day (which you all know I'm a fan of) and she got it off of someone else! It is harsh but it's 100% right. Especially number 9! :)


Confessions of a Horse Trainer (Mostly Beginner Clients)

1. I hate all of your tack. I swear every time I go to a new job I find the exact same crappy tack, tack that I wouldn’t put on my horses even with a gun to my head. It is the tack that your “friends” gave you because surprise they realized that it sucked so they gave it to you. The saddles you have are dry rotted and synthetic (I don’t care what you paid for them, a saddle that is $300 or lower new is crap), they nose dive on the withers and swim all over the back, so you have to cut the horse in half to get them to sort of stay on and then you have to balance the saddle on the horse while trying to ride, because it slides all over the place. A good western saddle new is $800 up, and tolerable one will be $500- $800. You can find some nice name brands for cheaper if you pay attention, love Craigslist. If it doesn’t have a maker on it, if the fenders curl up, if your horse acts up when you put the saddle on, if it looks and feels cheap, it is cheap. Please for the sake of yourself and your horse please get a well made saddle. Besides, well made quality tack holds its value. I have a saddle that is 13 years old and one that is 20 years old that look and feel great and they are appraised at $1800 and $1200. You can’t sell that $300 saddle you bought yesterday for $25. I know good tack is expensive so just start a tack fund and put away what you can each week and it helps to sign up to get every tack catalog known to man you can sometimes find some great deals on anything horse related (and don’t get too wrapped up in colors or the fancy stuff, my gelding has a awesome turnout blanket that was priced over 60% off, it is purple but who cares, it is a great blanket). Also have equipment for all the horses you own. If you have 5 horses you should own 6 halters and lead ropes (one as a spare for accidents). I love it when there are 6 horses an only one halter and lead. When something breaks or you get another horse you have to buy more. Come on people.

2. Please stop buying horses from your “riding instructor” without an outside opinion. I know of several horses bought from “riding instructors” who are barely green broke (at least for trail riding and or riding outside the lesson pen), some are flat out crippled and green broke, and some are not even born yet and are being sold to 9 year old children (Yes, I was contacted about training the unborn foal their riding instructor sold to their 9 year old daughter, I did not get the instructor’s name for fear of going postal). You ride once or twice a week and want to trail ride, please find a horse that fits your riding expectations. I know many horses who would be great (and were great when purchased because they were being ridden daily) if you would ride them more then once a month. It also drives me nuts when I find out that people have been taking riding lessons for years, who is teaching you because after 3 years you know about as much about horses and riding as my dog.

3. Stop taking free/cheap young and unbroke horses when a new to horses. Horses are a TON of work and cost an arm and a leg as well. You are new to horses and you do not need 5 free unbroke horses ages 2, 3, 7, 8, and 12. You need one horse that has been around the block a few times to learn on. There is no way you are going to be able to learn for yourself and get all 5 of these horses to be solid citizens any time this next century without sending them off for months and months of training. I only have two horses, and yes I know what you are thinking OMG she must not love horses to only have two when she could have twenty. But I know the energy, time, and cost involved in owning horses and between training all these people and their horses I do not have a ton of time to work with my own. Quantity does not make up for quality.

4. Start doing your homework. When I leave our weekly lesson I always give you homework to do to continue to build upon what we worked on that day. If you do not do your homework we can not progress forward at any rate. This really annoys me and makes me not like you (especially if I really didn’t like you to begin with, personality thing). Because I really like see/produce results and it is hard to get them when working once a week or every two weeks. I understand that life happens but when you have yet to do any homework after 8 months of working together, I will work with you until the moment I can afford to drop you, then I will and I will not look back (the economy is tough right now and work is work). Please don’t try and lie to me either, I’m like Santa, I know when you have been working with your horse and I know when you have not.

5. Weather happens, hair appointments do not. Horses may be an extra to you but to me they are my livelihood. Weather happens, lately we have all been rained out 3 weeks straight, I knew when becoming a trainer that the weather would affect my ability to work. But when you schedule an appointment with me and we are not rained out you need to keep that appointment (I’m a pretty reasonable person and just like your employer I understand that life happens i.e. funerals, illness). When you take that time slot I can not give to anyone else and when you cancel two hours before your lesson (with no explanation, so I assume it is a stupid a hair appointment) I don’t have the time to fill your spot which leads to no money for me. Just like you I need money to survive, I have feed bills, rent, insurance, gas bills because I travel to you, and all the normal living expenses you have. You wouldn’t do that to the plumber, please do not to me. If you do it more than twice I will drop you and give your slot to someone more reliable.

6. When I say that you need to purchase something tack wise, I’m not kidding. I know tack is expensive and I really try to work with the crappy stuff that you give me to work with but sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and buy something that you need to continue progressing with your horse. I don’t tell you need something unless you really need it and will need it long term. I loan stuff on a regular basis but you are not my only client and at any given point in time I have 1-5 people at the same place in training as you are. When you keep something longer than a week (or two) I can’t loan it to other people and when your horse needs it long term I can’t help those that need it short term. I’m very aware of the cost of tack and offer when possible several cost options for getting what you need. But there are some things you can’t skimp on like bits, the worse bit you’ll ever put in your horses mouth is a cheap one. Please also note that I get nothing back from the products I recommend, I recommend these products because I use them myself, they are truly great, and I have yet to find something better. If your kid kids need knee pads for volley ball you get them, your horse should not be any different. Please go spend $6 on you own crappy dressage whip and give mine back.

7. Seriously when I talk about the condition of your horse or the need for vet care I’m not blowing smoke. You hired me to help you with your horses and I am going to tell you when something isn’t right. I’ve spent a lot of time learning about nutrition, hoof care, and veterinary care. I also know how expensive vet care can be; I grew up with a vet tech and have a pretty good eye on when you need to see a vet and when you don’t. I understand that your horse was a rescue but after 6 months there shouldn’t be any ribs. When I say you need a Farrier you really need one, horses do not like wearing elf shoes. When I tell you to offer mineral supplementation it’s because you are being stubborn about dropping the oats or you’ re not able to feed enough concentrate to your easy keeper for them to get the full effect of the feed. I’m truly on your side and the side of your wallet, but seriously just do what your horse needs.

8. Your way wasn’t working, that is why you called me, so just shut up and listen. I love it when I get a new client who regardless to what I say or accomplish with their horse still thinks that they know what they are doing or their way is better. You don’t. That is why you called me in the first place. Please just listen and follow what I tell you, this stuff works. I understand that for some of you I am young enough to be your daughter but I know what I am doing and if you would just sit down and shut up we can actually get things done and you and your horse can finally stand to be around each other.

9. When you love your horse and truly try your best I will work harder for you. I can tell who truly loves and wants what is best for their horse. They are the people who do their homework, who do everything in their power to get and do what the horse needs, regardless to the cost or their financial situation. I love these people. I know who has money and who doesn’t and it always amazes me that the people with money are usually the least likely to do what the horse needs in regards to training, tack, and care (can you say short cut). When you truly love your horse I will help you how ever I can; I’ll give you a break on lesson costs, help with finding quality tack at good prices, haul you around, go over on lessons without charging, be there in emergencies, and more. I love you and enjoy you when you love your horse.
Thanks for allowing the rant. It’s a hard job trying to guide people onto the right path of horse ownership but someone has to do it.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! I mean do you not know anything? The price of tack does not matter! Its the quality that does! You can get a nice saddle for under 500$ you can get a pony sized basic english saddle thats not made out of lether used for like 300. Saddles are based on the fit for you and your horse so one saddle that you may call "crappy" might just be the wrong fit. Also before you go insulting other people becuse there being "cheap" and there stuff is "crapy" how about you look at the EC your coaching at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You get what you pay for.

    That's really all there is to it. I personally worry about fit first for the horse then for the rider. My saddles are not perfect by any means actually mine are all synthetic but I would love to, and I mean LOVE to own a nice leather saddle that fits both me and my horses.

    You seem very upset about this blog, did you miss the part at the top that says it's a repost from another blog? Yes it is..sorry to disappoint you, the personal attacks are really getting old. Just like this blog which I haven't updated in over 2 months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did my instructor send me this...?
    I have masses of halters and whips, the best colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooooh I feel your pain... especially no. 8! Sometimes I wonder why people pay money just not to listen?! it amazes me how some people expect to improve but not willing to work for it!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment, voice your opinion, or flat out argue with me, just keep it clean