Thursday, February 19, 2009

This Is A Real Sport

Horse riding IS a real sport.
We have three (3!) events in the OLYMPICS.
That alone should be enough to convince you but if not keep reading.

So why doesn't anyone take it seriously? I'm always having people not show up for lessons, not bother to call, even with a cancellation fee. What do I have to do so that parents (especially parents!) take this sport seriously. If you were paying $25 dollars a week for your child to participate in say a sport like soccer. Would you miss more than half the practices and still go to the tournament? I highly doubt it! The soccer coach wouldn't allow it. To play in the game you have to practice. Horse back riding is no different.If your child is bad at school or home would you punish them by not making them go to soccer practice? Heck no! You'd say go get those cleats on you've got soccer and it's our turn to bring the oranges. So why ground them from participating in their regular horse riding lessons.
Let me remind you, horse riding builds confidence, balance, muscle, strength, lets them bond with an animal and last but not least teaches them responsibility! Where else do they have to be responsible for another living thing, that they have to brush completely, pick the sharp rocks out of their hooves, exercise, praise, discipline, and clean up after!
When I started riding I was 10 years old and I hardly said a word to anyone. I was the shyest girl I knew. In class, at parties, even family get togethers I never said a word unless spoken directly to. I was sad and being sad isn't good for you. Now I am an outgoing, motivated, hard working individual. I run my own lesson stable where I work my butt off and will do anything for my horses and my lesson students. I have the drive and determination to really do what ever I want to. I would not have got to where I am today if I hadn't been involved with horses. True that I would have probably grown out of some shyness but I would have never had enough confidence to do half the things I've done in the past 10 years.
Being able to work with an animal so much bigger and more powerful than yourself is a great feeling, especially when you and said horse become partners. There is a level of riding that you can achieve only by practice and time. At this level the horse is more than just a riding buddy, he or she truly becomes your partner and while you ride it's almost as though they're reading your mind. People who don't know horses always say "why is riding so hard all you have to do is sit there", but they surely do not know our Eddy (or most horses for that matter). When you see a very professional rider riding, it looks as if they are doing nothing at all. This is the ultimate goal.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, voice your opinion, or flat out argue with me, just keep it clean